[gps-talkusers] Re: what are examples of how latitude and longitude are used?

  • From: "Richard Myers" <dkmyers28@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 15:20:06 +0900

Hi, Mary Ellen,
Lat and Lon are used worldwide to umambiguously define positions on the surface of the Earth. If you are into geocaching, don't forget that the datum for almost all geocaching is WGS-84, so make sure your GPS receiver is set for that or you may find yourself as much as half a mile away from where you think you are. If all goes well, your GPS should be able to put you within about 30 feet of your goal.

Dick

From: "meearls" <meearls@xxxxxxx>
To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [gps-talkusers] what are examples of how latitude and longitude are used?
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 16:31:25 -0700

Hi!
What are some examples of how Latitude and Longitude are used in an every day situation? I can see where an airplane pilot would use this but why is this on our gps units?
I am fascinated simply because I would like to come on the geocaching trip in September to Maine and would like to know a little more about how to apply this part of the gps because I have a feeling we just might be given some clues using this branch of the gps.
Thanks.
Mary Ellen Earls
Remember! Today is the Tomorrow you thought about yesterday.

(8):[(8)