[gps-talkusers] Re: seeing eye gps

  • From: "Sara Rooz" <sararooz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 16:13:48 -0400

Aaron, although I don't own an iphone but have a note taker with a gps program,
I agree that the gps program on a note taker is superior in getting walking
direcctions to a destination than relying on an iphone for this information. A
blind consumer explained to me that an iphonew gps is currently great for
vehicular directions but cannot be used for walking directions and any gps
product for the blind is extremely helpful for getting walking directions. It's
true that note taker with a gps program is expensive but the features that the
gps program offers on a note taker to get directions when in a vehicle and
particularly when walking is so liberating. In addition, I find using the
points of interest feature liberating since I can find an address and pphone
number of a particular establishment. Due to a family emergency, I used the
point of interest to find a hospital to be with my parent and was able to get
the address of the hospital and phhone number and subsequently contacted
thehospital directly that I would be visiting my parent. I was also able to get
vehicle directions to the hospital. I have also used my gps to walk around my
neigbborhoood and  find it liberating to know the direction I am walking in and
the upcomoing intersection as well as l the correct directional change I need
to make when following a route. I find my main limitation is with orienting
myself when I need to make a directional change and I have found that my gps
has been of tremendous benefit.

Sara Rooz
I do respect those who wish to use the iphone and those who use a stand alone
gps device as well usersof note takers with gps. It's a personal choice.
Sendero myust be commended for giving blind people gps in so many different
forms.
Sara Rooz