[gps-talkusers] Re: keyboard lock and multiple repeat/was keyboard lock

  • From: "Vicky Collins" <v-collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2005 13:29:26 -0500

Hi Dave and All,

Well, grin, folks on this list might recall that I waited until I could use
the Sendero shopping cart to purchase the BN GPS; so, don't know about the
chat
room.  Not sure why, but I just never did feel comfortable with making phone
calls and the like, even though I work in customer service and am taking
incoming calls all day long.

As for the comparisons, of course you know I'm really very new to GPS and to
both programs.  I purchased my PM well before the PK came out, and so then
just got the GPS for it, too, when it became available.

Strange about the two receivers I have, meaning the Earthmate Blue Logger
and the GlobalSat BT-338.  For, although the BT-338 often tends to pick up
signals indoors, when outdoors they both seem to acquire satellites just
about
the same time.  And, if one would ever be considered faster, I would figure
it to be the Blue Logger.  Although, seeing as it didn't come with a case to
clip to a belt or strap, I've been very successfully using the BT-338 while
in my purse, something I've not been able to do with the Blue Logger which
works best on my shoulder.

As for getting the Bluetooth receiver not available message after a signal
has already been acquired, I've mostly noticed this with the Blue Logger,
and not nearly as much with the BT-338.  Although, after getting that
message a time or two with the Blue Logger, the receiver will eventually
pretty much get and maintain a signal.

As for my multiple repeat problem, although I can't of course say for sure,
think the cause of my problem was indeed my own error in not reading the PK
Braille display properly.  For, I think I was missing that little prompt/bit
of info after turning the multiple repeat feature on and then off again.  I
mean, once I had the multiple repeat on, say after pressing m then x,
thinking it wasn't working properly, not realizing that then pressing the
letter m again right after that would just turn the feature off, I was
pressing m then x and expecting the feature to just start working again,
thus I would be told where I was but of course it wouldn't be repeated.
Hope that made sense.

I haven't used the Blue Logger on the PAC Mate yet, just the GlobalSat
BT-338.  For, seeing as it took so long to get everything set up with the PM
GPS, doing a little bit of that each night for several days, well, I have
just kind of left well enough alone.  And, while I have indeed used the PM
GPS from time to time, when I think about carrying three and a half pounds
or one pound, the one pound PK usually wins.

Now, although I'm going to of course start to do more with routes and all,
as I've so far pretty much just done a few tests in virtual mode, I've
mostly just walked
around the neighborhood, and then taken the
two units on the bus to work with me.  And, while traveling the bus route,
using the multiple repeat of intersection feature of the BN, it is just a
bit easier and quicker for me to know where I am that way.  For, with the
PAC Mate, I can easily get it to continually show where I am on the Braille
display, but it shows the address, rather than the intersection.  And,
seeing as I am more used to hearing intersections, as that is what the bus
drivers usually use when they call the stops, I would prefer seeing those.
So, to do that on the PM, even though not a continuous announcement, I can
hit a
keystroke that will speak the current intersection; but, seeing as I want
that on the Braille display, I then need to use the end of document command
to go to the bottom of the info to find that current intersection.