[gps-talkusers] Re: extra, extra, read all about it!

  • From: Mike Arrigo <n0oxy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 20:51:11 -0600

Unless I'm missing something, for this to work on the iphone, the app will need
to rely on voiceover to provide the information which means the screen can't be
locked, or the app will need to provide its own tts engine which of course must
be licensed. This is because, for what reason I'm not sure, Apple does not
provide an api for third party apps to use the voices that are already included
on the phone, it would certainly make things more efficient if they did.
Android would not have this restriction. As far as maps, for IOS, the app would
need to provide a way to download the maps for each area, similar to the way
navigon does this. On Android, this is also an option, although maps could also
be downloaded and copied directly to the memory card. That is one major thing I
do not like about IOS, you can't connect it to your computer and have it just
show up as a drive where you can copy files straight away.