[gps-talkusers] Re: e: taking your gps on airlines

  • From: Michael May <MikeMay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 10:26:33 -0700

Gavin,

The trick is to ask the pilot for permission and not the flight attendant. Give the flight attendant a braille and print note that says,
"I'd like permission to use my Braille GPS in the air. This is a receiving device only."
Ask him or her to present this to the pilot.

hello
I have only taken my Braillenote bt and Earthmate on a plain twice on internal flights in the UK and on both ocations Security at the airport put the Brlnote-GPS unit through the X-ray, and then on the plane I asked the stewardess and was informed that I could use the Braillenote, because it performed similarly to a laptop, but I couldn't use the GPS because of safety reasons.
They being that it could interfere with the plane's navigation system.

I fully understand these concerns after all a planes captain must have the final word over what does and does not happen during the flight for which he is responsible.

I must say however I wish I had been able to use the GPSFF
Regards Gavin Atkins.