[gps-talkusers] Re: cross streets

  • From: Kevin Chao <kevinchao89@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 15:21:11 -0700

From: gps-talkusers-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:gps-talkusers-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of alice dampman
Sent: Friday, April 03, 2009 2:22 PM
To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gps-talkusers] Re: cross streets

Thanks for that explanation, Kevin. While it makes sense, it's not ideal, is
it? If I am walking on the right side of the street, and the destination is
on a street that is on the left, will the gps tll me that it is there? Will
it instruct me to turn left?

[Kevin Chao] The "split" streets, cross streets only being on the left or
right and addresses being only the left or right does not affect POIs or the
LookAround POI events. So, when a LookAround POI event or, when searching
for a POI or following a route; the GPS will tell you that it is on the left
or right side an instruct you to turn accordingly.

    Is this a quirk of Sendero gps, or do all gps units work this way? For a
driver, it really does not matter if there is a median strip, right?

[Kevin Chao] Considering that most other GPS applications, including
Loadstone, StreetTalk, Trekker Breeze and others don't have a Virtual
Explore mode similar in features to that of the Sendero GPS, it isn't
possible so it isn't an issue there. In a way, this is an issue for drivers
as if there is a physical median and, letting you know that there are only
addresses on the right, a street on the right is a good bit of information
as you don't want to instruct the driver to run over the median. That is,
unless we are wanting some off-road experience.

Will this ever be different? Will Sendero gps ever tell us about streets on
both sides of a divided street?

[Kevin Chao] This is probably a question more suited for Charles or Chris
but the best that is available at the moment is to check the address range
with SPACE/READ with C. If the left or right side is reported as unknown, it
is most likely a split" as indicated in the physical world or the map. In
this case, use the work-around detailed in the Manual, which is to turn onto
the cross  street of the "split" street, move forward and turn again so that
you are traveling down the other side of this split street. This would only
be performed if you wish to check address or streets on the other side of
that split.

What about POI's?

    I was walking along the same road. There is a large grocery store on the
opposite side, and although I had lookaround turned on for POIs, it did not
announce it.

Rather disappointing... I mean, I know that store is there, but only because
I live around here.

[Kevin Chao] The purpose of the LookAround POI event is to give you a rough
sample of what is around you every 12 seconds or a predetermined time by
you. You could query for All POIs, specific POIs based on a variety of
criteria's, including category, subcategory, distance, direction and field.

Alice

alicedh@xxxxxxxxxxx