[gps-talkusers] ap data.

  • From: richard synnott <richardsynnott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 16:47:28 +0100

I note with interest, the following part of the text regarding the gps version 4. Address matching has been revamped. The address number now comes before the street name. Therefore, if there is a street that spans multiple zip codes, entering the address number before the street name means that you will find the correct match easier. This is a huge improvement and makes for much more successful address matching.

Have there been any improvements to the map data for the Uk?
If not, then the above improvements are of no value to us.
If I press A to ascertain the address when I'm on a street, i am told the street name, but invariabbley get the message, number unknown. We can't determine the last part of the post code. For example, mine is ll65 4sn. But when I'm near my house, all I am told is ll65 4. Likewise, if I'm doing a search to put in an address as a destination, I always get the message to put in the number zero or press enter for a list of cross streets. I find this all the more infuriating as I know the map data is available, proven by the fact that my pal who gigs with me in one of my bands, has just bought a satnav system last week and he can put in any post code as a destination. This question of developing products specifically for our friends in the US with little consideration for people in other countries, has recently been eluded to on the braillenote list, and it's understandable why it is the case. never the less, Mike, I can't wait for the day when I'll be able to put in a house number as a destination, and walk straight to the door. I do like the other enhancements, though, and was telling someone this morning that i reckon I've recouped a good wod of money back that I would have spent on taxis.
I revisited a chapel this morning to tune a piano.
In the past I've gone in to town on the buss and got a taxi there. This morning I put the chapel in as a destination, and when i got to within half a mile of the chapel and noticed that i was going further away, i ask the driver to stop, got off the buss, created a route and walked straight there. Just to prove that I'm not over-zellous in my expectations of what is reasonable to expect, I wouldn't start a campaign to have my m-power be able to speak welsh, although this would be particularly useful at the moment as my braille display is currently not working and there is a shortage of parts so I can't get it fixed at the moment.
Cheers, RS.