[gps-talkusers] Re: Version longevity

  • From: "Kevin Chao" <g.unit89@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 11:55:38 -0700

Kylie,

Well it isn't required to upgrade, but surely recommended. Each version will
run as long as you have it on your unit, but all of the pois, maps,
function,
user poi will become out of date.

New versions come out roughly once a year. The critical thing with any form
of mapping information is that not only will Sendero and other companies try
to fix things from previous versions and add in additional features, but
mapping information and poi information will be updated.

Let's say there is a new shopping mall and a new housing development  that
just went up about half a year ago. Well, most likely the street information
will not be in V3.5 and all of the stores will not be there.   This means
that you will not be able to find any of the stores either through an
address
lookup or poi lookup; this also goes for finding the new houses, the streets
will most likely not be in V3.5.  But, if you were to upgrade to the next
version that is due sometime this year, all of the  newer information will
most likely be in the next version.

The user files will not be effected, but the collective user files tend to
not be updated any longer once a new version comes out.

If I were you I would rush to get the upgrade, but that is just my
recommendation.

Kevin