[gps-talkusers] Re: THe earthmate:

  • From: "Chip Orange" <Corange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 12:43:19 -0400

Don,

First, I didn't mean to suggest that your question didn't belong here,
just that it was sufficiently non-specific to the BN that you could draw
on the large number of GPS experts that hang out on these news groups.

As Mike has mentioned recently, pretty much any receiver is compatable
with their product.  This is because GPS receivers have had a standard
communications protocol for many years (called NMEA 0183) that has
allowed owners of various types of equipment to mix and match GPS
receivers according to their needs.  It's a real poster-child case for
where and how developing a standard that everyone sticks to benefits
everyone in the end.

I'm sure Mike has to balance a lot of factors when recommending a GPS
receiver, but I think you can see from his latest choice of the
EarthMate that simplicity, size, speed, reliability, and cost all seem
to come into it.

I've owned an EarthMate for quite a long time (I guess about a year
now), and while I don't get to play with it much any more, I've always
been happy with it because I literally never have to do anything other
than plug it in and go.

I haven't had a chance to set up a situation where I can test out the
claims of SiRF as to their ability to give a position with as few as 2
satellites in view, but some day I will (I've spoken with others who
have indeed verified this).  It's a nice feature for those who live in
mountainess or very urban environments.

Hth,

Chip

=20