[gps-talkusers] Re: THe earthmate:

  • From: "Don Bishop" <donbishop49@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 09:08:26 -0700

Chip,

Thanks for the info.  Well, it doesn't directly have anything to do with gps on
the bn although it is a receiver actively supported by Sendero, so it really
does
relate to the bn.  It would be interesting to know how wide the range of
receivers which will work with the bn actually is.

I'm assuming that Mike and others select the receiver with the most features
which will work best with the bn while, at the same time, taking cost factors
into
consideration.

There's definitely a lot to learn in the gps area.

Don

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 10:33:55 -0400, Chip Orange wrote:

Don,

The company that makes the gps chip used in the EarthMate (SiRF) does
claim better accuracy under conditions where you do not have 4
satellites in view.  This can happen in a downtown urban environment
frequently as buildings temporarily block the signal.

It does also aquire the initial signal much faster.

Other than that, I'm pretty sure the SportTrack is WAAS capable, so that
would make them equal in accuracy.

This is the kind of question you can ask on one of the gps news groups
such as alt.satellite.gps or sci.geo.satellite-nav and get a lot more
info as it has nothing to do with the braillenote.

Hth,

Chip

=20