[gps-talkusers] Re: Roundabouts for Charles

  • From: Charles LaPierre <charles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 07:45:22 -0800

Hi Peter,

The Sendero route algorithm for pedestrians will automatically choose the shorter distance around a roundabout so in theory this will also be the path with the fewest number of street crossings. Now this is not guarantied and maybe something I can look at in the future when deciding which way to go around a roundabout for pedestrian use but for now its a good rule of thumb.

Thanks
Charles.

At 06:23 AM 11/28/2008, you wrote:
Many thanks Charles,

Re behaviour for pedestrians: I see what you mean, but if we knew how many exits there were, then we would know which way to go in order to cross fewer roads. For example, if it said: "Take the third of four exits, 3 o'clock", then we'd know to cross one road on the right, rather than two roads on the left.

On a more complex roundabout "Take the sixth of six exits, 4 o'clock", and we'd know not to cross any roads but take the first one to the right, rather than crossing five roads round the circle.

This still seems the most practical way to deal with a roundabout as a pedestrian.

All the best,

Peter

At 03:12 PM 11/27/2008, you wrote:
Hi Peter,

Yes I did see this message and we discussed it internally then we posted it to our Beta List and got additional feedback. We have added two new feature requests for vehicle routes which cover your issues you posted concerning roundabouts. During the next round of development we will consider these but there is no guaranty your suggestions will make it into the next release but we have entered these into our bug/feature request system.

As for your new suggestion about pedestrian routes, I am less willing to change the current behavior as pedestrians won't know the difference between on ramps and off ramps from a roundabout and if I say take the 3rd exit 3 O'clock, does this mean you cross 3 streets or 5 streets, which is why the current pedestrian routes through roundabouts hasn't been changed.

Thank you
Charles LaPierre
CTO Sendero Group

At 06:37 AM 11/27/2008, you wrote:
Hi Charles,

I sent this message to the list a few weeks back, perhaps while you were on vacation. There were a few replies in support of my suggestion, and without meaning to pester you, I'd really appreciate your take on this. I've added one or two clarifications to my original message, but when you get a moment, please do let us know what you think.