[gps-talkusers] RECENT HOLIDAY

  • From: "Steven Bingham" <steven.bingham1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 16:13:33 +0100

Hi all

I have just returned from a trip to southern Germany. I took my Apex with
Sendero loaded and it made quite a difference to my enjoyment of the holiday.
We were staying at Altoting (the 'o' is accented but I can't find out how to do
this on this keyboard). Most days we went for trips to various places like
Salzburg. I took the GPS on the coach and was able to follow where we were
going and get a lot of information about the towns we passed through. It is
surprising how many places have English names which are quite different from
the name they have in German. The driver was quite amused when I accused her of
speeding - well over 100 KPH is speeding in my book. I found it a little
strange having all the place names and POIs coming up in German but their
classifications were, of course, in English. This actually helped me quite a
lot as my knowledge of german was negligible before we went and now it is
almost negligible (some improvement there I think). We ended the holiday at
Oberammegau for the Passion Play. The town is well into the german Alps so
following our climb into the mountains with the altitude feature was
interesting.

One advantage of having a machine like the Apex with me was that I was able to
get hold of an ?English translation of the Passion Play and although I could
not read it fast enough to keep up with the onstage action I was at least able
to keep track of what was going on. It was a good thing that the story of the
play is well known otherwise I could have been completely sunk. The music was
wonderful!

I did notice that, like the UK, there are no schools in Bavaria or Austria.
Austria appears to have a few universities but I didn't find any in Germany.

Steve