[gps-talkusers] Re: Question about WAAS compatibility

  • From: "Sarai" <bucc7465@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 20:52:58 -0500

What is WAAS?

-----Original Message-----
From: gps-talkusers-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:gps-talkusers-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Michael May
Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2005 8:35 PM
To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gps-talkusers] Question about WAAS compatibility

The Delorme Blue Logger GPS receiver is the one that comes with the
PK and mPower GPS products. It does have WAAS. The BrailleNote tells
you when WAAS kicks in.

It is worth noting that WAAS may be as accurate as the 3 meters
quoted, however, it may also be less accurate than that. GPS accuracy
fluctuates all over the place and WAAS is more of the same.

We are testing a new feature to report GPS status to give you an
approximation in feet or meters of the GPS accuracy. We met with the
Delorme GPS engineers on several topics and this business of WAAS and
estimating accuracy was part of the discussion. They confirmed that
WAAS varies more than advertised and that predicting accuracy will be
an estimate at best.

It is a good thing to have WAAS but it is important to think of GPS
navigation as getting you in the vicinity of a point and your other
O&M skills will get you the last foot or one hundred feet.

It is interesting that the new Sirf 3 GPS receivers do not have WAAS
turned on by default. You have to turn WAAS on from their software
and then it switches off when you turn the receiver off. This seems
strange but it explains why we haven't been able to get WAAS on these
receivers.

>Hello Staff and All,
>
>I am going to be a new user of Braillenote GPS, I will be using a
>mPower BT and geting the latest GPS reciever that is supported as its
>being orded at the same time.
>
>Any how I was wondering about the GPS reciever is it going to be
>compatible with WAAS standards? If not why not?
>
> >From what I understand about this potocol it allows for a 3 feet
>inaccurece.  Any and all information would be great as I would like to
>be able to use my system to find a store for instant in a area that has

>many stores.  Find a builden that I need to get to as fast as I can as
>you all know it takes lots of time to just travel to a new place.
>
>Thanks
>Christopher

Michael G. May

CEO Sendero Group

Developers and distributors of BrailleNote GPS
Distributing BrailleNote, VoiceNote, Miniguide, The Tissot Silen-T
tactile watch, Talks cell phone software and the ID Mate, bar code
reader

MikeMay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.SenderoGroup.com

(1-888-757-6810, Fax (530) 757-6830, Mobile (530) 304-0007 Sendero
Group, LLC 1118 Maple Lane, Davis, CA 95616-1723, USA

Latitude, 38 33 9.239 North
Longitude, 121 45 40.145 West