[gps-talkusers] Re: MORE THOUGHTS ON ROUNDABOUTS

  • From: Peter Bosher <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 15:39:18 +0000

Hi Charles, and all,

I'll make this my last message on the subject for now, as I agree with Carol
that we might be doing this to death, and I don't want to alienate anybody,
especially not the developer (smile), but there are just two points I'd like to
make in response to other messages.

Firstly, it's true that it takes some effort to understand roundabouts in the
first place, and that they are quite hard to deal with for a pedestrian.  Once
you do understand them though, the exit method works perfectly well for
pedestrians as well as drivers, and I believe this would take some of the
complexity out of the development.   For example, as Steve points out, even on
a huge roundabout, if you know that there are seven exits, and that you are
counting clockwise from where you are, then if you are told to take the seventh
exit, you know that you can simply cross to the right and turn right.  If it's
the third exit, then you must cross two roads to your left and take the next
one, and so-on.

Secondly, I was very surprised indeed that anybody should question the need for
support for car journeys.   I thought that this had already been well
established for a whole range of situations - my own are helping my wife or
friends navigate, guiding cab-drivers who  don't know their way, and
understanding surroundings as a passenger.  At the moment, this is broken for
us in the UK and Australia.

Finally, I have  upgraded to  version 4.2, and love the new features.   So I
never leave home without Sendero, but I still  have to take a second system
with Wayfinder for car-journeys.   I am hoping that in a year or so, Sendero
will be all I need.   I've already said that I think you're doing an absolutely
terrific job Charles.  I understand the jjuggling, the complexity, and I shan't
say another word on the subject before Christmas 2008.

 From a still very appreciative user, have a great Christmas 2007.

Peter

--

*******