[gps-talkusers] Re: Help understanding roundabouts

  • From: Charles LaPierre <charles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 06:37:36 -0800

Hi Peter,
Glad you are excited about GPS 4.2 (even if it doesn't have roundabout exits).

Truthfully I have no idea of when this will be addressed, all I can tell you it is high on our priority list, but so are a lot of other REALLY cool things others have been asking for us for years.

Happy Holidays everyone!
Charles.

At 06:24 AM 12/19/2007, you wrote:
Hi Charles, and All,

Since switching from Trekker a few months back , I've grown to love Sendero GPS for ppedestrian use, and I'm excited about the 4.2 upgrade. However, when I need to help with navigation for a car journey, which is quite often, then I have to use Wayfinder. Do you know just how many roundabouts there are in this country? the way-point method you mention truly isn't workable. By the time you figure out one roundabout, you will already have arrived at the next one.

I truly do understand tthat it's complex, and that you are working on it. I am just wondering whether you could give us an idea of when you'll be able to address it, and in hopes that it keeps this high on your priority list.

 From an otherwise happy and appreciative user.

Respect,

Peter

At 11:32 PM 12/17/07, you wrote:
>Hi Catherine,
>
>You are correct that most mainstream products do tell you the exit number for roundabouts but this is something not yet available for the Sendero GPS. It is high on our priority list especially for the UK and Australia, but as of GPS 4.2 this has not yet been implemented.
>
>The only option right now is you could explore the roundabout by moving forward waypoint by waypoint around the roundabout and count the number of intersections between the entrance and exit, but this may not be always 100% accurate as it may stop at an overpass crossing this roundabout, but as long as you are aware of that, this may help you navigate the roundabouts.
>
>The command to move forward along your route waypoint by waypoint is Read Up arrow on a QT or dots 2356 on a BT.
>
>Hope this helps
>Charles.
>
>At 03:15 PM 12/17/2007, you wrote:
>>Hi,
>>
>>I think this has been discussed here before but I didn't have much reason to take it in then, and I can't remember what the conclusion was. But I'm having trouble understanding the instructions Sendero GPS gives in a vehicle route when it comes to roundabouts. It seems to say take the exit leading northwest or whatever - giving a compass direction, and saying the name of the road. But in my experience both from people's written/verbal instructions and from other (mainstream so to speak) GPS systems, the number of the exit is usually given. Like "take the second exit from the roundabout".
>>
>>Is there any way I can tell from the instructions currently given, what number the exit will be? Or must I rely on looking for the name of the road? (If I'm in a car with a sighted driver I mean). Because finding road names doesn't always seem possible/easy, whether because the signage is rubbish or people don't use their eyes I don't know - but it doesn't always work whatever the reason.
>>
>>So I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips for understanding the roundabout instructions...
>>
>>Catherine
>
>Charles M. La Pierre CTO
>Sendero Group, LLC
>
>Lat. 37 15' 25" N  Lon: 121 53' 04" W