[gps-talkusers] GPS on a laptop

  • From: Michael May <MikeMay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 16:22:17 -0700

Chip,

We used a USB keypad with a Radio Shack belt clip. It worked reasonably
well. We also tried a few outboard joy stick arrangements which could
easily fit in a pocket and give you access to 5 or 10 primary commands.

>Yes, it's getting more and more common for service folks to have a
>laptop with gps receiver.  They can have very high quality maps on cd,
>and they often have some sort of wireless link back to the home office
>so they receive job instructions as well as automatic routing on the
>laptop, and are able to communicate current location and status back to
>the home office.
>
>One of my "wouldn't it be cool" ideas for this project of mine (which I
>call TIPS for Travel Information Position System) would be for you to
>have a wireless link, and a defined group of friends, so that you all
>could know where each other were at any time.  It's not at the top of
>the list, but maybe someday ...
>
>Another idea of mine is not just to allow the defining of locations of
>points of interest, but categories, and free-form text descriptions (so
>that you could type a note to yourself for instance that says to get to
>sportswear, go up the eskilator and turn left).  And of course, to allow
>some web-based system for all users of this system to upload their files
>of points of interest to create an ever-growing database that all can
>download.
>
>Controlling it while wearing it in a backpack is my biggest worry at the
>moment.  I have heard that the Sendaro product used an external keypad,
>but unless I can find one with a belt clip or something I don't like the
>idea of tying up your hands (which are often busy), so I think I'm going
>to look into the voice command option first.
>
>Oh well, got to get the basic one out there so I can hopefully get some
>bright ideas from others interested in this approach as well.
>
>Chip
>
>=20

Michael G. May

CEO Sendero Group

Developers and distributors of BrailleNote GPS
Now distributing BrailleNote, VoiceNote, Miniguide, The Tissot Silen-T
tactile watch and the ID Mate, bar code reader

MikeMay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.SenderoGroup.com

(530) 757-6800, Fax (530) 757-6830, Mobile (530) 304-0007
Sendero Group, LLC
1118 Maple Lane, Davis, CA 95616-1723, USA

Latitude, 38 33 9.239 North
Longitude, 121 45 40.145 West