[gps-talkusers] GPS Drift

  • From: "Kevin Chao" <g.unit89@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 23:35:06 -0600

The below is the mmessage that I wrote to the BrailleNote list regarding this
GPS Drift.

John,

I would recommend sending all questions relating to the Sendero GPS to the
GPS-Talks Users list, which can be found at:
http://www.senderogroup.com/

I will go ahead and answer your question regarding marking a User POI and
having it drift a substantial distance.

This is known as, "GPS Drift." The reason this occurs is because the satellites
that the GPS receiver are picking up are in outer
space and the signals have a good distance to travel before it can determine
your GPS position and send the information to your GPS
receiver, which can bbe several thousand of miles away. During which time, the
signals have many things to bounce off creating this
drift, which you noticed. With newer receivers, the drift can be less
significant as compared to older receivers. This drift can be
+/-30 feet under normal conditions.

I would recommend reading the Accuracy document found on your CompactFlash card
or in the 42docs.zip at MySendero.com as well as the
User Guide to have a full indept understanding of this great Orientation tool
along with the mapping/GPS quirks, which you
experienced with the drift of your User POI.

Kevin
User of the Sendero GPS for two years