[gps-talkusers] Re: Earthmate USB cable

  • From: "Richard Myers" <dkmyers28@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 14:05:50 +0900

Hello, Mike,
Sorry, I thought that there were people using Earthmate with the PK. Since Earthmate soft cannot be loaded into the PK, I guess that would be impossible. Sorry again for going off like that.

Dick Myers

(8):[(8)

From: Michael May <mikemay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Reply-To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [gps-talkusers] Re: Earthmate USB cable Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 21:55:39 -0700

One of the reasons many companies stayed away from USB, not just HumanWare, is the fact that different drivers have to be loaded that are specific to each device. Since the PK or mPower cannot load the Earthmate software, one has to bank on a generic driver working. There is no call for drivers for Bluetooth.

At the end of the day, I believe the benefits of the wireless Bluetooth technology far outweigh the inconvenience and relative fragility of wires.

Hello, Charles,
Well, it is kind of discouraging to hear that. I thought the ability to supply power to small things was one of USB's attractive features. And now, of course, the Bluetooth feature is showing its true worth in many cases by being reluctant to work anywhere nearly as well as a direct connection. I guess that is what you get when you have too much confidence in one new and unproven technology and try to re-invent the wheel. The whole thing is much too restrictive when you consider the price. It is gratifying that the M-Power has at one standard USB port, which means to me that someone suddenly realized the error of his ways. So, if the PK users want to revert back to the tried-and-true USB, they are going to have to shell out another wheelborrow full of money for a trade-in to the M-power. Oh, well. I don't suppose a retro-fit to the PK would be possible? I know that all this is not your fault. There was very little warning that Bluetooth would create problems in a mobile and noisy environment. Also, there was undoubtedly some concern for the life of the PK battery. If it has to run a GPS receiver, the battery might be sucked dry in a lot less time, since it is known that those GPS chip-sets are heavy drinkers of power.

Dick Myers

(8):[(8)

From: Charles La Pierre <lapierre@xxxxxxxxx> Reply-To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [gps-talkusers] Re: Earthmate USB cable Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 19:26:49 -0700

Hello everyone,

I just want to clarify, a USB GPS receiver does not work with either the mPower or the PK. The PK's USB port is non-powered I.e. its a slave only USB port. The mPower has both master (I.e. powered) and slave USB ports, but since I only received my mPower just before we released the GPS product I could not get working the GPS receiver on the master USB port on the mPower. Maybe in a future release of the GPS software will this be an option for the mPower, but since the pk's USB port is not a master a USB solution on the PK is not possible.

Our main goal on both the PK and on the mPower was to get bluetooth working and have a wireless solution, so having a USB solution as well was a lower priority.

Charles.

At 06:25 PM 9/1/2005, you wrote:

Hello, Mary Ellen,
I ordered my Earthmate from DeLorme, and it came packed with the USB cable.
If your PK has a USB port, chances it is a standard port, the flat 4-wire jack. The Earthmate receiver end of the cable has the proper connector for fitting directly into the Earthmate GPS receiver without the need for the battery pack.

Walk in sunshine

Dick
(8):[(8)

From: " Mary Ellen Earls" <meearls@xxxxxxx> Reply-To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: [gps-talkusers] Re: Multiple repeat, BT 338 fine Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 17:41:20 -0700

Yes that makes sense but as of right now, I know of no cable to fit the pk for the earthmate, otherwise I would use it.
Mary Ellen Earls
----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard Myers" <dkmyers28@xxxxxxxxxxx>