[gps-talkusers] Article: US teenager invents navigation system for blind

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 14:39:28 -0400

Webindia123.com - India
Saturday, June 11, 2005

US teenager invents navigation system for blind

By IANS

Chicago, June 11 : A US high school student has won an award for his
invention that allows the blind to navigate by using the Global Positioning
System (GPS).

Teenager Ameen Abdulrasool recently won a $66,000 bonanza at the
International Science and Engineering Fair in Phoenix, Arizona, for the
invention.

He has also been awarded an all expense paid trip to attend the
International Youth Science seminar in Stockholm during the Nobel Prize
ceremonies in December.

Abdulrasool's prototype allows visually impaired individuals to navigate a
pre-programmed route via GPS. The prototype has a headset, two bracelets, a
personal digital assistant (PDA) and a control box.

Abdulrasool told IANS he was inspired to build the prototype because he
wanted to help the visually impaired he had grown up with.

Abdulrasool, whose parents migrated to the US from Karachi, seems unaffected
by his achievements and fame.

"His greatest asset is his humility," said Antoinette LoBosco, assistant
principal of his school. "He is always kind to his fellow students. We are
very proud of him."

Building the prototype took three years - Abdulrasool had to make the parts
on his own as the prototype is the first of its kind.

"The PDA was the most expensive part. The rest I could scavenge from old
computers and radios," he said.

Elder brother Saleem, who is studying computers in the University of
Illinois at Urbana Champaign, helped in the project.

The gadget's accuracy, Abdulrasool said, depends on the number of satellites
it can connect to. "In tests, I have found the prototype to be most accurate
in the suburbs. In downtown Chicago, there could be a problem because of the
tall buildings," he said.

The gadget gives turn-by-turn verbal directions too. "In addition, the user
wears braces on both hands. If one has to take a left turn, the brace on the
left hand will vibrate. An infrared sensor helps the machine detect
obstacles. A beep, the volume of which will depend on the obstacle's
distance, alerts the user," Abdulrasool said.

It cost Abdulrasool about $1,200 to build the prototype. "If I get support
from some companies, it will be easier for me to distribute the final
product," he said.

Abdulrasool plans to attend the University of Illinois this fall to study
electrical engineering, biomedical technology and business management.

His hobbies include tennis and football and listening to techno music, pop
and occasionally Bach.

http://news.webindia123.com/news/showdetails.asp?id=87548&cat=World

To unsubscribe via e-mail: send a message to
BlindNews-Request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with the word unsubscribe in either
the subject or body of the message