[gps-talkusers] Re: A really interesting observation:

  • From: "Chip Orange" <Corange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 17:04:23 -0400

Yes, it's getting more and more common for service folks to have a
laptop with gps receiver.  They can have very high quality maps on cd,
and they often have some sort of wireless link back to the home office
so they receive job instructions as well as automatic routing on the
laptop, and are able to communicate current location and status back to
the home office.

One of my "wouldn't it be cool" ideas for this project of mine (which I
call TIPS for Travel Information Position System) would be for you to
have a wireless link, and a defined group of friends, so that you all
could know where each other were at any time.  It's not at the top of
the list, but maybe someday ...

Another idea of mine is not just to allow the defining of locations of
points of interest, but categories, and free-form text descriptions (so
that you could type a note to yourself for instance that says to get to
sportswear, go up the eskilator and turn left).  And of course, to allow
some web-based system for all users of this system to upload their files
of points of interest to create an ever-growing database that all can
download.

Controlling it while wearing it in a backpack is my biggest worry at the
moment.  I have heard that the Sendaro product used an external keypad,
but unless I can find one with a belt clip or something I don't like the
idea of tying up your hands (which are often busy), so I think I'm going
to look into the voice command option first.

Oh well, got to get the basic one out there so I can hopefully get some
bright ideas from others interested in this approach as well.

Chip

=20