[gps-talkusers] Re: 300 feet off 33 okay

  • From: "Carl Simmons" <carl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 22:55:31 -0700

JD,

With out getting very technical I will attempt to explain some of the areas
about the GPS accuracy.

1 The map addresses are generated by a software process and are based from
the center of the street. The accuracy then will be dependent on the size of
the street the address is located. There are many variables that effect the
accuracy developed by the software.  Normally the address errors are not off
by a large figure, but they are not perfect.

2. With Sendero GPS version 3.5 we will give the accuracy of the GPS
satellites in number of feet, I have found that this has been very accurate,
just a reminder that this is a measurement in radius.

3. The most accurate method of course is to set a user POI at a given
location.  This will provide a mark at the latitude and longitude at that
exact point.  This mark will be within the accuracy of the GPS at that point
at that time.

Mike May has created a very good article on GPS accuracy and this document
can be found on the Sendero Web site www.mysendero.com and is included on
the CD shipped with the GPS system.

I have requested our users to send me any location that they feel there is a
map error.  I will review each and test. If it is deemed a map error we will
test on the next release of maps.

Please send an email to the address below with the words "map error" in the
subject line and a description of the error in the body.   The description
can be State, City, Street, and number or the latitude and longitude of the
point in question.

Please contact me if you have concerns.

Carl Simmons
Sendero Group