[gpodder-devel] feature request: Time stretching / audio playback speed up

  • From: lari.hotari at sagire.fi (Lari Hotari)
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 16:02:58 +0300

Hello,

I'd like to listen to podcasts using faster playback (45%).

I have tested processing podcasts using soundtouch/soundstretch and it
seems to be a usefull feature to be able to speed up playback without
changing the pitch. This process is generally called "time stretching"
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_timescale-pitch_modification).

Currently I'm processing the audio files downloaded by gpodder before
transfering them to my ipod.

This is the script I have for speeding up a single mp3 file by 45%.

#!/bin/bash
mp3-decoder --wav "$1.wav" "$1"
soundstretch "$1.wav" "$1.fast.wav" -tempo=+45
lame --preset fast medium "$1.fast.wav" "$1.2.mp3"
id3cp "$1" "$1.2.mp3"
rm "$1.wav" "$1.fast.wav"
mv "$1" "$1.bak"
mv "$1.2.mp3" "$1"

Would it be possible to implement the playback speed up (time
stretching) directly in gpodder using the soundtouch library
(http://www.surina.net/soundtouch/)? Alternatively there could be a
general script hook for processing the downloaded mp3 files.

I wasn't able to add this feature request to the gpodder bugtracker
because creating a new account failed.

Regards,

Lari