[gpodder-devel] Q: Switching mainline development to Git?

  • From: jspaleta at gmail.com (Jeff Spaleta)
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 16:37:13 -0800

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 2:48 PM, Thomas Perl <thp at perli.net> wrote:
> For users just "pulling" from the SVN repository, only the commands
> change, everything else would stay basically the same. For users writing
> patches, we'd be able to make it easier to merge patches and do
> experimental branches.

It appears that there are a group of developers who want to extend the
capability of rpm to be able to treat modern distributed version
control systems as a native "source" for the purposes of rpmbuild
operation.  The goal being to make it easier for downstream
distributors to more closely align with the upstream projects
development process,  making it possible to more easily merge
downstream patches from the distro maintainers.

All the dvcs implementations are different, but from what little I've
gleamed from the discussion, subversion seems to be more problematic
than other competing systems in this regard.  If this capability was
added in the near future to rpm, and if rpm-based distributions' (like
Fedora) buildsystems were to make use of it.. packages whose upstream
projects used git would stand to benefit from the change more directly
than projects using subversion. But its not something that is going to
happen in the immediate future.

-jef