[gpodder-devel] MTP support: Debian packaging

  • From: thp at perli.net (Thomas Perl)
  • Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2008 22:44:57 +0200

Hello!

J?r?me Chabod has done some great work for MTP support recently:
  http://wiki.gpodder.org/wiki/MTP_Support

I've got myself a MTP-capable device (it also support USB mass storage,
but for testing I can switch to MTP) and looked at what's needed to
shape up the MTP support and merge it into upstream gPodder. PyMTP is a
nice libmtp wrapper, and libmtp is in Debian already - pymtp isn't.
That's why I started packaging it for Debian and I filed an ITP (Intend
to Package) bug report on bugs.debian.org:

>From there you can find links to a first version of the Debian package,
which (with the help of an uploading sponsor) will find its way into the
Debian and Ubuntu repositories soon. This enables us to simply depend on
pymtp from the Debian/Ubuntu packaging and provide a quite smooth
integration of MTP support for the Debian/Ubuntu versions of gPodder.

In short: MTP device support is going to happen. We just have to wait
for pymtp to get into Debian and we have to clean up the patch a bit :)