[gpodder-devel] Integrating gPodder into Amarok

  • From: thp at gpodder.org (Thomas Perl)
  • Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 09:19:08 +0200

Hi!

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 10:37:15PM +0200, Stefan Derkits wrote:
> On 13/10/10 16:24, Thomas Perl wrote:
> > Looks good to me. As Amarok is written in C++ and is using the Qt
> > framework, I wonder if it would be possible to write a reusable library
> > that encapsulates all gpodder.net-related code and provides a nice,
> > Qt-ish API, simliar to what mygpoclient provides in the Python world,
> > and then utilize that library and glue it into the Amarok podcast code.
> >
> > I'd definitely help you out with that library in case you want to go
> > that route, because such a library for creating native gpodder.net
> > client apps for MeeGo and Symbian3.
>
> ok our Team discussed about it and even though some Amarok Devs advised
> us against it (to make sure we don't have a fully functional lib, but no
> Feature in Amarok ;) ) , we decided to do such a Library ... as it
> shouldn't be thaat much more work then just putting the calls to the
> WebAPI into Amarok and if there would be more use for it why not do it
> ... what should we name it ... libgpodder? :)

What about libmygpoqt or libmygpo-qt (with "mygpo" being the project
name of "gpodder.net", from its old domain name [my].[gp]odder.[o]rg)?
Another idea would be libmygpoclient-qt.

> Our Priority will stay of Course to integrate gpodder into Amarok, so we
> will try to plan our Project in a Way, that we implement some API Calls
> into the Library, then use them in Amarok and if we didn't wrap the
> whole API and our Amarok Feature is finished we will see further ;)

That's a great approach - it will definitely help in making the API
usable, as you are designing it with the goal of using it right
afterwards, so the short write-use-fix cycle will make the library
better.

> @Thomas: Your Help is definitly aprreciated, but as this is an ASE
> Project we most probably can't really accept help in the Areas of Coding
> & Design ... but you can definitly look over our Design/Code and find
> Bugs that we're gonna produce :)

No problem - looking forward to testing and using the library! :)