[gpodder-devel] Integrating gPodder into Amarok

  • From: thp at gpodder.org (Thomas Perl)
  • Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 16:24:13 +0200

Hi Stefan,

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 02:57:38PM +0200, Stefan Derkits wrote:
> we are a 3 Person Team studying at the University of Technology in
> Vienna and for a University Course (Advanced Software Engineering - the
> same during which gPodder was created ;) ) we are working on some
> Features for an Open Source Project, Amarok, the KDE Music Player.

Awesome! AFAIK Stecchino (on IRC) has planned on working on this some
time ago, but I haven't talked to him for a while. Maybe you want to
contact him and ask him for advice/suggestions.

> One of our Features will be the Integration of the gPodder Webservice
> into Amarok. We will mostly follow the Proposal already in the Amarok
> Wiki, you can find it here: http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/Proposals/GPodderNet

Looks good to me. As Amarok is written in C++ and is using the Qt
framework, I wonder if it would be possible to write a reusable library
that encapsulates all gpodder.net-related code and provides a nice,
Qt-ish API, simliar to what mygpoclient provides in the Python world,
and then utilize that library and glue it into the Amarok podcast code.

I'd definitely help you out with that library in case you want to go
that route, because such a library for creating native gpodder.net
client apps for MeeGo and Symbian^3.

By the way - if you have any feedback on the API (missing stuff that
you'd like to have, or a bug in the API design), please report all of
that at http://bugs.gpodder.org/ - the API isn't set in stone, and we
want to make it as easy as possible for clients to access the data.

> If you wanna keep Track of it, we plan to blog from time to time about
> this Integration of gPodder into Amarok, but have not really set up
> anything yet.

Yes, that would be nice. Also, maybe you can share your private branches
where you implement these features on a service like Github or
Gitorious?

> We hope to make gpodder.net available to a big new Usergroup and hope
> you can support us in Case we need any Help with the WebAPI ;)

Sure. If we can help with anything, just ask. As I said above, creating
a library to access gpodder.net from C++/Qt would be something that I
myself would be interested in.

Keep us posted! :)