[gpodder-devel] Colors and systray

  • From: thp at perli.net (Thomas Perl)
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 22:39:20 +0100

Hello Holger,

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 20:06:16 +0100 Holger Bauer wrote:
> First, please don't use hard coded background colors when you use the
> foreground color from the current gtk theme at the same time. Right
> now you assume people always have a theme with dark text color, which
> is just not true. My theme uses a bright text color and that makes the
> podcasts list unreadable, which uses yellow/white as background. Also
> think about people using gnomes highcontrast inverse theme (white text
> color).

Sure, I've added it to the TODO list. Would a color chooser in the
preferences dialog suit your needs? I don't think we can automatically
calculate "good" colors from the gtk theme colors.

> My second suggestion is to include a systray icon similar to the ones
> many music players have. It would be great if I could hide/show the
> gpodder window by clicking on it. Getting current download status on
> mouseover would be amazing. Being notified when a download finished
> either by status icon or notification popup would be the ne plus
> ultra. :)

Also added to the TODO list. Things like the tray icon are probably
easy to implement but due to lack of time, I currently can't do it. If
anyone wants to have a look at it, please by all means do. You probably
need the PyGTK documentation and some minor initialization code in
gpodder.py. I imagine the status text simply being a tooltip that is
updated from the download status manager (or simply the window title).
Don't know if PyGTK already supports the new "notification balloons"
seen with current gnome-power-manager et al. Hmm.. weekend maybe ;)

Enjoy.