[govinfo] whistleblower sign-on letter

  • From: "Patrice McDermott" <pmcdermott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opengovsteer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opengovsteer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "opengovpartners@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opengovpartners@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "FOI-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <FOI-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 15:47:42 -0400

Please excuse any cross-postings. Below is a letter to Majority Leader Reid
asking for his commitment to moving S. 274 to the floor during this session.
For more information on the particular legislation, go to
http://www.whistleblower.org/content/press_detail.cfm?press_id=1056 .

I will be collecting organizational sign-ons until 5pm EDT on Wednesday, 1
August.  This letter is in addition to the one circulated by GAP for the Make
It Safe coalition - at their request.

Thanks.
Patrice McDermott, Director
OpenTheGovernment.org
www.openthegovernment.org
202.332.OPEN (6736)
Senator Harry Reid,
Majority Leader
United States Capitol S-221

Dear Senator Reid:

The undersigned organizations are writing to ask for a commitment by your
office to ensure the restoration, during this session of Congress, of genuine
rights and protections for government whistleblowers. In a survey last year, 79
percent of likely American voters said they would be more likely to support a
Congress that enacted whistleblower protection legislation. Yet, despite this
support among voters and strong bipartisan support within the Congress,
legislation to amend the Whistleblower Protection Act (WPA), S. 274, has been
paralyzed by a Senate hold. Your leadership is needed to break this
unconscionable impasse.

Our organizations seek your commitment to pursue a unanimous consent or
bipartisan agreement for limited floor time and amendments to overcome the
procedural attacks that may continue indefinitely to block progress on this
good government legislation.  In this, we support the work of the Make It Safe
coalition. As they noted in their recent letter to you, your history of
leadership in the area of rights for employees and contractors is evident and
laudable. We urge to continue your commitment to and exercise your leadership
for the protection of government whistleblowers.

 We look forward to working with you to ensure that America's whistleblowers
are provided with the protections they deserve, so our country can be safe and
secure.

Thank you.

Sincerely,