[govinfo] sign-on letter re Pres Records Act

  • From: "Patrice McDermott" <pmcdermott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "FOI-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <FOI-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "govinfo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <govinfo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 16:22:46 -0500

Attached (and below) is a letter that will be sent to Senators Biden, Clinton,
Dodd, and McCain asking them to co-sponsor S. 886, The Presidential Records Act
Amendments of 2007.

Currently, among the senatorial candidates for their party's nomination, only
Sen. Obama is co-sponsoring the bill.

We would like to get this to the Hill by Friday afternoon, 7 December. If you
wish to sign on, please contact Chris Green by noon (Eastern) on Friday, 7

Please circulate the letter widely. Many thanks.

Patrice McDermott, Director
202.332.OPEN (6736)
Dear Senators:

We, the undersigned organizations, are writing to ask you as key members of the
Senate and candidates for your party's nomination for the presidency of the
United States to co-sponsor S. 866, "The Presidential Records Act Amendments of
2007." This legislation is critical to restore the public's necessary faith in
the trustworthiness of its government.

In November 2001, President George W. Bush issued Executive Order 13233, giving
current and former presidents and vice presidents, and their heirs, broad
authority to withhold presidential records or delay their release. "The
Presidential Records Act Amendments of 2007" (S. 886) would re-establish
procedures to ensure the timely release of presidential records that the
Presidential Records Act of 1978 was designed to ensure.

The House version of this legislation (H.R. 1255) passed on March 14, 2007 by
333-93, including 104 Republicans. The Senate bill has broad bipartisan
support, and cleared the Senate Homeland Security and Government Affairs
Committee by voice vote earlier this year.

We urge you to take a stand for accountability and join Senators Bingaman,
Cornyn and others in co-sponsoring this important bill. The public should be
assured that the next President will be committed to openness and will restore
the public's trust in the workings of government.

Please feel free to contact Lee White at the National Coalition for History
(202-544-2422 x-116) if you have any questions.

Thank you.

Cc: Senators Bingaman, Cornyn, Feinstein, Leahy, Lieberman, Obama, and Sununu