[govinfo] sign-on letter re OPEN Govt Act

  • From: "Patrice McDermott" <pmcdermott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "FOI-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <FOI-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "opengovpartners@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opengovpartners@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "govinfo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <govinfo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 17:32:41 -0400

Patrice McDermott, Director
202.332.OPEN (6736)
Senator Patrick Leahy
Senator John Cornyn

Dear Senators,

The undersigned organizations are writing to express our gratitude to you for
your commitment to strengthening the Freedom of Information Act through the
OPEN Government Act (S. 849).  We urge you to stand firm and sustain the
provisions of the bill as introduced and to bring the bill forward for a debate
on the floor of the Senate in September.

We understand that negotiations are underway currently with those Senators who
have identified themselves as having concerns with the bill. We believe these
Senators should be given time, in a time-limited debate, to bring forward a
specified number of amendments addressing the concerns they have raised with

Thank you, again, for your commitment to strengthening the ability of the
public to hold our government accountable and ensure its transparency.

Cc: Senators Reid and McConnell