[govinfo] addendum to GovInfo News 5-3-2007

  • From: "Patrice McDermott" <pmcdermott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "govinfo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <govinfo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 17:57:54 -0400

I failed to include the referenced letter.

Patrice McDermott, Director
OpenTheGovernment.org
www.openthegovernment.org
202.332.OPEN (6736)

Attached (and below) is a letter that will be sent to Senate Majority Leader
Reid and Minority Leader McConnell. The intent is to show very broad support -
across as many types of organizations as possible (e.g., good government, media
and journalism, environmental, labor, business...) - to encourage Senators Reid
and McConnell to bring the bill to the floor as soon as possible.  We want LOTS
of signatories.

Your assistance in circulating this widely will be appreciated.

Sign-ons should be sent to Emily Feldman by close of business (6 pm EDT) on May
16th.

Patrice McDermott, Director
OpenTheGovernment.org
www.openthegovernment.org
202.332.OPEN (6736)

---
The Honorable Harry Reid
528 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510

The Honorable Mitch McConnell
361-A Russell Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510

Dear Senator Reid and Senator McConnell:

We write on behalf of the undersigned group of [___] business, public interest,
and historical groups and associations to endorse the OPEN Government Act of
2007 (S. 849), as introduced by Senator Patrick Leahy and Senator John Cornyn.

The Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) is the public's most significant tool for
ensuring integrity and accountability from the federal government.
Unfortunately, FOIA's promise of ensuring an open and accountable government
has been seriously undermined by the excessive processing delays that FOIA
requesters face across the government.  The OPEN Government Act would:

Close loopholes in FOIA;
Help the public get timely responses to FOIA requests; and
Improve agency accountability and require better management of FOIA programs.

The public's confidence in the executive branch has reached a dramatic low
point.  The OPEN Government Act of 2007 would demonstrate bipartisan
congressional leadership to restore public faith in government and to advance
the ideals of openness that our democracy embodies.  The Senate Judiciary
Committee has reported favorably upon the bill without any amendments.  We urge
you to support this legislation and help it move quickly to the Senate floor
for a vote.

Sincerely,

cc:        The Honorable Patrick J. Leahy
            The Honorable John Cornyn
            The Honorable Sherrod Brown
            The Honorable Benjamin L. Cardin
            The Honorable Russell D. Feingold