[govinfo] Secrecy News Purged From State Dept History Mailing List

  • From: "Patrice McDermott" <pmcdermott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "fen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <fen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "FOI-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <FOI-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "govinfo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <govinfo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 13:47:09 -0400

SECRECY NEWS
from the FAS Project on Government Secrecy Volume 2008, Issue No. 58 June 12,
2008

Secrecy News Blog:  http://www.fas.org/blog/secrecy/

SECRECY NEWS PURGED FROM STATE DEPT HISTORY MAILING LIST

Secrecy News was removed from the distribution list for the U.S. State
Department history publication "Foreign Relations of the United States"
(FRUS) after we reported on errors in several FRUS volumes on March 24 and 26,
2008.

     http://www.fas.org/blog/secrecy/2008/03/four_frus_volumes.html

     http://www.fas.org/blog/secrecy/2008/03/more_frus_errors.html

A spokesman for the State Department Historian's Office confirmed that
officials had ordered the removal of Secrecy News from the FRUS mailing list in
response to our critical coverage.

In an email message to the series editor yesterday, I asked the Historian's
Office (HO) to reconsider its action. To do so would serve the best interests
of FRUS, I suggested.

"I know that a sizable fraction of my Secrecy News mailing list (which now
exceeds 13,500 self-selected subscribers) has an interest in FRUS publications.
 Many of those subscribers are unlikely to be part of other existing networks
of academics and historians through which news of FRUS is disseminated," I
wrote.

"I would also willingly publish any criticism of my own writing that HO
personnel or HAC [Historical Advisory Committee] members felt was warranted," I
added.

The request to reinstate Secrecy News on the FRUS mailing list awaits a
decision by the State Department Historian, Dr. Marc J. Susser.

Patrice McDermott, Director
OpenTheGovernment.org
www.openthegovernment.org
202.332.OPEN (6736)