[govinfo] GovInfo News 7-27-2007

  • From: "Patrice McDermott" <pmcdermott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "govinfo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <govinfo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "FOI-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <FOI-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 12:51:19 -0400

- Senate Passes Bill Based on 9/11 Panel Proposals
- State and Federal E-Government Report, 2007
- WhiteHouseForSale.org
- Content monitoring prevents data leaks that let sensitive information leave
the premises
- Sen. Durbin asks for unanimous consent on S. 849
Patrice McDermott, Director
OpenTheGovernment.org
www.openthegovernment.org
202.332.OPEN (6736)
- SENATE PASSES BILL BASED ON 9/11 PANEL PROPOSALS
By Carl Hulse
July 27, 2007

The Senate approved antiterrorism legislation late Thursday that grew out of
the recommendations of the bipartisan Sept. 11 commission after voting
overwhelmingly for a measure allocating $40 billion for domestic security in
the coming year.    The House was expected to pass it the measure and send it
to President Bush as early as Friday. more  [NY Times]

As those of you who read Secrecy News know, the 9/11 Commission bill also
requires intelligence budget disclosure: For the first time since it began
debating the issue more than three decades ago, Congress is now poised to adopt
legislation that will require -- not merely recommend -- public disclosure of
the total national intelligence budget.    "Not later than 30 days after the
end of each fiscal year beginning with fiscal year 2007, the Director of
National Intelligence shall disclose to the public the aggregate amount of
funds appropriated by Congress for the National Intelligence Program for such
fiscal year." [House-Senate conference agreement on H.R. 1 (section 601), the
massive bill to implement recommendations of the 9/11 Commission]. more
[Secrecy News]

***
- STATE AND FEDERAL E-GOVERNMENT REPORT, 2007

This report presents the seventh annual update on the features that are
available online through American state and federal government websites. Using
a detailed analysis of 1,548 state and federal government sites, we measure
what is online, what variations exist across the country, and what differences
appear between state and national government. We compare the 2007 results to
2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, and 2006. more [InsidePolitics.org/Brown
University] (thanks to beSpacific.com)

Link: Report

***
- WhiteHouseForSale.org

Public Citizen unveiled a Web site that provides an up-to-date listing of the
2008 presidential hopefuls' "bundlers," the super-fundraisers who are powering
the billion-dollar race for the White House. The revitalized site is at
www.WhiteHouseForSale.org. more [Public Citizen]

***
- CONTENT MONITORING PREVENTS DATA LEAKS THAT LET SENSITIVE INFORMATION LEAVE
THE PREMISES
By Jacob Caporaletti
July 23, 2007

A growing number of vendors now offer products to address the problem. Referred
to as data leak prevention, extrusion-prevention or content-monitoring
products, they watch an agency's network data traffic and look for and, in some
cases, block the unauthorized release of sensitive information. more [FCW]

***
- SEN. DURBIN ASKS FOR UNANIMOUS CONSENT ON S. 849 (the OPEN Government Act)
DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY APPROPRIATIONS ACT, 2008 -- (Senate - July 26,
2007) [Page: S10090]

   UNANIMOUS CONSENT REQUEST--5849

   Mr. DURBIN. Mr. President, I ask unanimous consent that the majority leader,
following consultation with the Republican leader, may at any time proceed to
consideration of Calendar No. 127, S. 849, the Openness Promotes Effectiveness
in our National Government Act of 2007; that the bill be considered under the
following limitations: that there be a time limit of 2 hours of general debate
on the bill, with the time equally divided and controlled between the chair and
ranking member of the Judiciary Committee or their designees; that the only
amendment in order be a Leahy-Cornyn technical amendment, which is at the desk;
that upon the use or yielding back of time, the amendment be agreed to, the
bill as amended be read three times, and the Senate vote on passage of the
bill, with the above occurring without further intervening action or debate.

   The PRESIDING OFFICER. Is there objection?

   Mr. COCHRAN. Mr. President, it is my understanding that there are ongoing
discussions with both sides of the aisle as well as the administration to come
up with bipartisan, consensual language on this issue and that we are unable to
clear the agreement at this time. Therefore, on behalf of several Republican
senators, I object.

   The PRESIDING OFFICER. Objection is heard.

   Mr. DURBIN. Mr. President, I understand Senator Cochran has expressed the
sentiments of some on his side of the aisle. I would like to say for the record
that we have made this proposal for several months now. I think those who are
trying to move this issue have shown extraordinary patience in trying to reach
an accommodation, and this is no reflection on the Senator from Mississippi,
who was not involved in this debate, that I know of. It only is a plea to those
who are considering the merits of this legislation to try to do so in a timely
fashion.

   Mr. President, I would like to reiterate what the majority leader said
earlier for those following the debate. If there are Members of the Senate of
either political party who have pending amendments on the Homeland Security
appropriations bill, we encourage you to come to the Senate floor as soon as
possible and be prepared to call up your amendment. We are going to stay in
session tonight until all amendments are disposed of. We will vote on final
passage this evening, whatever time that may be. We hope it will not be a
late-night session, but when there are many amendments pending and no Members
on the floor, it is a frustrating situation for everyone.

   So I hope that those who have amendments they care about will come forward
as soon as possible, come to the floor and work to try to resolve those
amendments, withdraw these amendments, or bring them to a vote.

***