[govinfo] GovInfo News 11-21-2007

  • From: "Patrice McDermott" <pmcdermott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "govinfo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <govinfo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "FOI-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <FOI-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 12:18:14 -0500

Patrice McDermott, Director
OpenTheGovernment.org
www.openthegovernment.org
202.332.OPEN (6736)

- The Rhetoric Beat - Why journalism needs one
By Brent Cunningham
November/December 2007

... What if on 9/11 our major media outlets had employed reporters whose sole
job it was to cover the rhetoric of politics-to parse the language of our
elected leaders, challenge it, and explain the thinking behind it, the
potential power it can have to legitimize certain actions and policies and
render others illegitimate? As the press and public officials struggled to find
the proper language to describe what was happening on their television screens
(or outside their windows), these reporters would have been scrutinizing that
language, and, let's assume for sake of argument, having their analytical work
displayed prominently-on the front pages of newspapers and Web sites, and in
substantial TV news segments. more [Columbia Journalism Review]