[govinfo] GovInfo News 11-16-06

  • From: "Patrice McDermott" <pmcdermott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "govinfo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <govinfo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 17:16:04 -0500

- C.I.A. Tells of Bush's Directive on the Handling of Detainees
- Holt renews call for e-voting law
- Open-source intelligence moving to the fore

Patrice McDermott, Director
OpenTheGovernment.org
202-332-OPEN (6736)
www.openthegovernment.org

- C.I.A. TELLS OF BUSH'S DIRECTIVE ON THE HANDLING OF DETAINEES
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/15/washington/15intel.html

November 15, 2006
By DAVID JOHNSTON

WASHINGTON, Nov. 14 - The Central Intelligence Agency has acknowledged for the
first time the existence of two classified documents, including a directive
signed by President Bush, that have guided the agency's interrogation and
detention of terror suspects.

The C.I.A. referred to the documents in a letter sent Friday from the agency's
associate general counsel, John L. McPherson, to lawyers for the American Civil
Liberties Union.

The contents of the documents were not revealed, but one of them is "a
directive signed by President Bush granting the C.I.A. the authority to set up
detention facilities outside the United States and outlining interrogation
methods that may be used against detainees," the A.C.L.U. said, based on its
review of published accounts.

The second document, according to the group, is a Justice Department legal
analysis "specifying interrogation methods that the C.I.A. may use against top
Al Qaeda members."
[..]
... The group added that the agency had said national security would be
jeopardized if it were compelled to disclose in any way its involvement in
interrogations.

In the C.I.A. letter, Mr. McPherson confirmed the existence of the documents
but declined to release them, saying that essentially all of their contents
were exempt from disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act because
release would damage national security and violate attorney-client privilege.
[...]

The November 10 CIA letter is online at:
www.aclu.org/safefree/torture/27365lgl20061109.html
(Note: the CIA letter refers to the documents by numbers. For a list of
corresponding documents go to
www.aclu.org/safefree/torture/27380lgl20061114.html)

To date, more than 100,000 pages of government documents have been released in
response to the ACLU's Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) lawsuit. The ACLU has
been posting these documents online at: www.aclu.org/torturefoia.

***
- HOLT RENEWS CALL FOR E-VOTING LAW
http://www.fcw.com/article96837-11-15-06-Web

BY Michael Hardy
Published on Nov. 15, 2006
As the dust settles from Election Day earlier this month, Rep. Rush Holt
(D-N.J.) is urging Congress to pass his Voter Confidence and Increased
Accessibility Act, a bill that would, among other things, require electronic
voting systems to generate a paper record for audits and recounts.

The electronic systems used in the latest election malfunctioned in some
jurisdictions, throwing the counts for some vote tallies into doubt. At least
one House race in Florida remains undecided because machines made by ES&S did
not record votes for 18,000 voters in a race in which only about 400 votes
separate the two candidates.

According to published accounts, the 18,000 votes not recorded in Sarasota
County, Fla., represent about a 13 percent undervote rate. Normally, undervotes
mean voters did not cast a ballot in the race, but only about 2.5 percent of
the voters who voted via absentee ballot chose not to vote in the race between
Democrat Christine Jennings and Republican Vernon Buchanan. Many voters had
complained to elections officials that they had trouble getting their votes to
record on the machines, according to reports. Officials are investigating.
[...]
If passed, the bill would, among other things:
.        Require that voters have the opportunity to verify the accuracy of an
archival copy of their recorded votes.
.        Require that all voting systems produce a voter-verified paper record
for use in manual audits, and provide as much as $150 million to help states
meet the cost.
.        Ban the use of undisclosed software and all wireless and concealed
communications devices in voting systems, and forbid the connection of any
voting machine component to the Internet.
.        Require random, unannounced, hand-count audits of the voter-verified
paper records in 2 percent of all precincts, including at least one precinct
per county, with authorization to provide the funding necessary to cover the
cost.

***
- OPEN-SOURCE INTELLIGENCE MOVING TO THE FORE
http://www.gcn.com/online/vol1_no1/42604-1.html?topic=technology-policy

11/16/06 -- 10:48 AM
By Patience Wait
[...]
The OSC was established just a year ago, incorporating as its foundation the
Foreign Broadcast Information Service, a division of the CIA. Its mission is to
mine "the world's unguarded knowledge," from all the channels available - the
Internet, print, broadcast media, podcasts, anything that contains information,
in any language, from any country - and glean all the data contained there. The
data is archived, and OSC analysts can then draw upon it in response to queries
from all levels of government; Naquin said that in addition to the intelligence
community, the center fields requests from the Defense Department, civilian
agencies and state and local law enforcement.
[...]
Historically, the intelligence community has not been that interested in
publicly available information; the emphasis has been on developing covert
information.

But "there just might be relatively - relatively - fewer secrets today," Naquin
said. The advent of information channels such as blogs and YouTube increases
the likelihood that something once considered secret will make its way into the
public discourse, he said. The center also has taken pains to establish metrics
to validate its usefulness, Naquin said. For instance, he set a target for this
year that 25 percent of all the analysts trained in using open source should
come from outside the CIA.

"On Sept. 30 we met our target," he said.
[...]