[goodfeel] Re: New Audio Presentation on Lime Aloud Features

  • From: "David Goldstein, Resource Center" <info2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <goodfeel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 09:59:57 -0400

Sibelius Speaking is the name of JAWS scripts that provide access to the
program called Sibelius, just as Lime Aloud gives access to the regular
program, Lime.  Sibelius, as George says, is a high-end program that
provides many tools for producing publisher quality notation.  It works a
little differently from Lime, which can have some advantage for composers.
I'm sorry if we didn't get to show it to your student last summer.  A good
reason for using Lime Aloud for school and other work is that, when the
GOODFEEL Braille Music Translator is on the machine, material entered or
scanned comes up immediately on the braille display, or can be embossed at
any time during the music session.  Sibelius Speaking uses JAWS speech alone
and has no way of showing the braille interactively.  To produce a braille
file for embossing, one must first export the file into a format called XML
(which in the version of Sibelius currently accessible, must be done through
an additional plug-in), and then sent to GOODFEEL.  When your student starts
doing advanced work, or his current compositions get to the top of the
charts, or if the state commission is considering software for use further
down the road, then it would be good to consider Sibelius and Sibelius
Speaking.  Note that the current version of Sibelius is two versions ahead
of the one that's accessible, and we are waiting for news of when scripts
will be ready.

David