[goodfeel] Help Resources for the GOODFEEL Suite

  • From: "Bill" <billlist1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <goodfeel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 10:20:13 -0400

Here's a generic version of a reply I sent recently to a customer who wants
to get started using GOODFEEL and related projects.  He is blind and will be
working with a sighted friend.  As our list has a number of new members, I
hope this information will be helpful to them and perhaps to more
experienced users too.

***

I recommend that you focus on studying a few things first:

http://www.dancingdots.com/tsgf3/gf3sightedproc.htm

gives a good summary of the process of scanning, editing and transcribing
music.  Start Menu entries for SharpEye, Lime and GOODFEEL all have a
shortcut to this document on their respective submenus labeled "Creating
Braille Music Overview."  The page says that it's for sighted users but I
recommend that blind users at least review it in order to get an
understanding of how your sighted helpers work.  The page also has a link at
the top to a version of this document written for blind users.  I recommend
that blind users study that page too but disregard the references to
Cakewalk SONAR on it.  Our Lime editor is now accessible to JAWS users.  We
definitely need to revise that page.

To learn all about using that Lime editor to read and to write music, blind
users should study The Lime Aloud Guide.  There is a shortcut from the
submenu of Lime's Start Menu entry.  Or, while you are running Lime, hold
down the INSERT key and press F1 twice quickly.  It may take a few seconds
but Internet Explorer should open and display the guide which is formatted
like a web page.  So you can, for example, press the letter H and move from
heading to heading, etc.

See http://www.dancingdots.com/tsgf3/Movies.htm for some brief videos.  We
do have text describing the videos up there as well.  As the note on that
page says, although the movies were recorded with Lime 7, the information is
still mainly relevant.  However, it's time to update this resource too.

From their respective Start Menu entries, there are shortcuts to digital
versions of the user manuals for SharpEye, Lime and GOODFEEL.

Please post your technical questions to this GOODFEEL listserv so that other
users can benefit from the exchange.

I look forward to helping you get started.  If you find that things are not
progressing as quickly as you would like, we do offer online training.  Our
trainer connects via an online session where we share your desktop with your
permission while we talk over the phone.  We use GoToMeeting to connect to
sighted customers and JAWS Tandem with blind users.  The current rate for
that service is $95 per hour pro-rated to nearest quarter-hour.

Regards,
Bill

Bill McCann
www.DancingDots.com