[goodfeel] CD Sheet Music

  • From: Dorothea Martin <dotty-martin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: goodfeel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 09:54:43 +0200

Hello,
I would like to share with you my experiences using CD sheet music produced
by www.cdsheetmusic.com/. This is sheet music in PDF format published on
CDs. As I am a singer, I have been using only vocal and choral music and
cannot say anything about the company's instrumental music, though they
produce it for organ, piano, strings, woodwins and trumpet also. The
editions which they put onto their CDs are all older than 1923, so that the
music is all in public domain. The PDF is the result of a digital camera
rather than a music recognition software, but the company claims to take
into account the quality of the image, making this an important choice in
the edition of each piece which they choose.
I tried ou this format for many reasons. The first were cost and
portability. The newer version 2 of this software is in HTML, so the
individual items open directly from the table of contents. I found this
easier to use than the older version in which the individual pieces take a
bit more trouble ot find. But as Sheet Music Plus is having a 60 percent
off sale for remaining stock, I bought the older version for music I would
use less often. The issue of portability is really something. I have all
599 of Schubert's songs on one CD.
I wanted to avoid problems resulting from a poor scan either due to my
errors in positioning the music on the scanner, the spine of the book, poor
photocopy or old, no longer white paper. Once I have chosen and opened my
pice of music in Adobe Acrobat Reader, I use an image printer to turn each
page into a bitmap image so that SharpEye can recognize it. If anyone is
interested, I can give more specific instruction on how to do this and some
possibilities for software to use. From the opening of the image in
SharpEye the music can be processas like any other. I do not notice any
significant difference in the qauality of the output of SharpEye between
the recognition of these BMP images and those I have obtained from scanning
the run-of-the-mill copies of sheet music available to me. I have noticed
that using a setting of 300 dots per inch and an intensity of 70 percent
with my image printer seems to help, however. After I have prepared my own
music, I print out a copy for my pianist from the Acrobat Reader. The
company has prepared the pieces  to print by default for binding at the
left side. I have the shop which does my printing put those plastic ring
binders on the music so that it will stand flat open on the piano so the
pianist can turn pages easily and will not be troubled by misplaced single
pages or a book which is trying to close up on the music stand. The only
trouble I have had is with a few of the German art songs which are produced
only in the original key. As I am a soprano, a few of them are too low for
me, and I don't want to give the pianist a print-out from the result of
SharpEye nor fix recognition errors for the print out.
I have a friend who is doing a Master's in singing at a newly-opened
concervatory in Italy which has all of the new Ricordii scores. I don't
imagine that she would want to put her money into this CD sheet music, but
for those of us who do not have this resource available or when we need
something at the moment, I would suggest this CD sheet music as a useful
tool for us blind musicians.
Dotty Martin