[gnulinuxinasia] NEWS: Links from Uzbekistan (Thanks to Mashrab Kuvatov)

  • From: "Frederick Noronha (FN)" <fred@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Mashrab Kuvatov <kmashrab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 23:32:58 +0530 (IST)

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, Mashrab Kuvatov wrote:

> Dear Frederck,
> I read your article "Open Asia: Open source in the
> Tajikistan, Taiwan, and Thailand" in NewsForge. It
> is very nice. Good thing is that free software
> movement in Asia is gradually raising.
> In addition to your article, I can say
> that Linux started giving roots in
> Uzbekistan too. I am a coordinator of a
> small Linux community which aims to localize
> Linux for Uzbekistan. We have
> a web-site, http://freax.homelinux.net, and
> mailing list devoted for this purpose.
> For our project we chose Mandrake Linux and KDE.
> It is very young project, but we achieved
> some results. Recently, Mandrake Linux 9.2 was released.
> It is the first operating system in Uzbek ever. One can
> install it in latin and cyrillic Uzbek scripts. Another
> feature is support of cyrillic-uzbek in text and graphic
> modes. Also, there is a cyrillic Uzbek keyboard layout
> for text/graphic modes.
> Another good news is our KDE translations were added into
> KDE CVS. Some day it will go to official release.
> That is what I wanted to say. You can use information
> above for your next article from \"Open Asia\" series.
> With best wishes,
> Mashrab.
> Ps. Some related links:
> Linux speaks Uzbek project
> http://freax.homelinux.net
> Mandrake Linux in Uzbek
> http://www.mandrakelinux.com/l10n/uz@xxxxxxxxx
> http://www.mandrakelinux.com/l10n/uz.php3
> KDE in Uzbek
> http://i18n.kde.org/teams/index.php?action=info&team=uz

d88888b d8b   db   Frederick Noronha * Freelance Journalist * Goa India
88'     888o  88   f r e d @ b y t e s f o r a l l . o r g
88ooo   88V8o 88   http://www.bytesforall.org
88~~~   88 V8o88   Phone 0091.832.2409490 Mobile 09822 122436
88      88  V888   784 Nr Lourdes Convent, Sonarbhat Saligao Goa 403511
YP      VP   V8P   Writing ... with a difference, on issues that matter