[gnulab-mesce] Re: Program Proposal:lets start grazing information->Gnus Graze

  • From: "raghesh a" <raghesh.a@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gnulab-mesce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 10:38:56 +0530

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 7:30 PM, ശ്യാം കാരനാട്ട് | shyam karanattu <
aeshyamae@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
> This is a proposal of a programme titled Gnus Graze.
> We have been thinking this for sometime now,,, today while i was reading a
> mail.. i just got read about the phrase "gnus grazing".. So thought
> suggesting the programme with this title and making it a discussion over
> mailing list..
> Its nothing much but to make a regular informal meeting/session of all
> (Both students and teachers and anyone interested), possibly everyday(let
> the discussion on mailing list start with it;-) )at some common place ...for
> a short period of say 45 mins either at morning or at eve or at noon (or i
> am ready for even more than one time a day when the subject is my
> favorite;-) )

Shyam, The idea is too good and we can move forward with it. We can plan for
a meeting on Monday itself.

I have one suggestion. The seminars/workshops/discussions, whatever it is,
should be done for the entire class in each department. We can decide the
topics in regular meetings. In IT department we have already planned for a
series of seminars/workshops on "Free Software tools" for the fourth
semester students. Please find the topics  below and please give your inputs
on this. Please add more topics here in this mail thread itself.

If students are familiarized with the tools available for them it won't be
difficult for them to directly jump into real world projects.

*Topics*

 *1. Operating System*

   1.

   GNU/Linux Installation (Debian)
   2.

   Installaing packages in Debian (Synaptic Package Manager)
   3.

   Linux booting process in Detail

*2. Tools*

   1.

   GNU Make
   2.

   gdb
   3.

   ddd

*3. Networking*

   1.

   Setting up a Webserver (Apache)
   2.

   Networking Tools – ftp, ssh, scp, telnet, etc
   3.

   NIS

*4. Introduction to Python*

 *5. Linux Kernel*

* *

   1.

   Kernel Compilation
   2.

   Booting with a newly compiled kernel

*6. Advanced Shell programming*

(a) awk

(b) grep

(c) sed*
*

*7. Subversioning System(SVN)*

*8. Re8. Real Time Linux (RTAI)*

* 9. De 9. Device Driver Development in GNU/Linux*

* 10. L 10. Localisation*