[glugot] Re: hello...ques time

  • From: Joe Steeve <joe_steeve@xxxxxxx>
  • To: himeetah@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 16:22:20 +0530 (IST)

This question has come a number of times. So I thought I'll put this
before everybody.

From: Meetah <himeetah@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 22:51:51 -0700 (PDT)

> Even though Windows has security measures, viruses r being
> created. But Linux is a free software. Wouldn't it be easier for the
> hackers to bring in MANY new viruses?

Viruses, use anomalies found in a software to exploit it. It dosent
have anything to do whether the source is available or not. The issue
is how the code is written. On the Linux kernel, the bugs are shallow
since there are many eyes watching it (quote borrowed from Linus
Torvalds.)

I'm not good at explaining this.. I've tried explaining this a number
of times., but was not successful. I hope ananth or arun or someone
else on the list might provide a better answer.

Cheers,
Joe

--
Free the code, free the user.