[glugot] Re: connecting to the internet thru linux

  • From: Joe Steeve <joe_steeve@xxxxxxx>
  • To: glugot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, dravidan_v@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 15:18:07 +0530 (IST)

Hello.,

From: Venkat Narasimhan <dravidan_v@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 10:08:47 +0100 (BST)
> first of all how do we connect to the internet using linux platform?
> if i can , then i'll be able to upgrade linux anytime
> so plz explain to me how to configure a modem(56/33 kbps)
> and setting up a dial up connection?

The simple way (for noobies..)., use kppp to dial up to the
internet. You can set the username, passwd, phone number, etc.. in
that.

If you like a more robust, command line approach., try wvdial. wvdial
is more commonly used that kppp. It can be easily configured using
wvdialconf. You can find more information on using it with a simple
search on www.google.com

Other than that you wont have to configure anything else. If you are
using VSNL, their pppd is pretty good and can transact the DNS numbers
also. If you are using Sathyam., you might have to figure out their
DNS servers.

Cheers,
Joe

--