[GeoGebra] GeoGebra 3.0 / International GeoGebra Institute

  • From: "Markus Hohenwarter" <markus@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geogebra-news@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 21:05:43 -0400

GeoGebra Newsletter - 23. March 2008, http://www.geogebra.org

1) GeoGebra 3.0 is here!
2) International GeoGebra Institute
3) Getting active for GeoGebra
4) GeoGebra Meeting at NCTM in Salt Lake City
5) AECT award for GeoGebra
6) Intergeo
7) Thank you!

Dear GeoGebra Users,

It has been some time since you received the last GeoGebra newsletter.
Many things have happened during the last year. GeoGebra is now available
in 39 languages, used in over 190 countries and our website is visited by more
than 300.000 people every month. GeoGebra has become a true open source
project with several enthusiastic developers and a large group of translators
and volunteers from many, many countries in all parts of the world.
Together, we will continue to improve our free software, create more and better
documentation, give workshops and provide support for teachers and students
all over the world.

One important part to achieve this is the establishment of the new
International GeoGebra Institute where teachers and researchers from
all over the world work together to offer training with and conduct research
on GeoGebra. If you also want to get involved, please read on!

Thank you for your support,

1) GeoGebra 3.0 is here!

GeoGebra 3.0 has just been officially released including
installer packages for Windows, Mac and Linux:
Download GeoGebra: http://www.geogebra.org/download/
GeoGebra Webstart: http://www.geogebra.org/webstart/

New features are
* Regular polygons, parametric curves, lists, checkboxes
* User defined tools and customizeable toolbar
* Easy export of web-pages including toolbar and menubar
* New tools: area, slope, length and perimeter
* Sequences and interpolation polynomials
* Export images to pdf, svg, emf, pstricks
* Many new commands: Min, Mod, Curvature, etc.
* Saveable settings, new properties dialog
* 39 languages
* and much more: http://www.geogebra.org/static/geogebra ... es_3.0.txt

In the background, we are already working hard for the next version
of GeoGebra and will soon start to put pre-releases of 3.1 online too.
You may also like to hear that we have started the development of a
fully fledged spreadsheet view for GeoGebra - pretty nice!

2) International GeoGebra Institute (IGI)

In IGI, teachers and researchers from all over the world work together
to promote the
learning and teaching of mathematics by supporting and coordinating
the following activities:
* develop free GeoGebra workshop materials,
* offer workshops for teachers and future GeoGebra trainers,
* further develop GeoGebra and implement new features of the software,
* develop an on-line support system for teachers,
* evaluate and improve the professional development activities and materials,
* design and implement research projects both on GeoGebra and IGI, and
* deliver presentations at national and international conferences.

We are currently working on plans to establish first IGI sites in several
countries in Europe and states of the US. If you are interested in getting
involved with IGI as a workshop presenter or researcher, please let us know!
For more information, please visit http://www.geogebra.org/IGI/.

3) Getting active for GeoGebra!

If you are interested in contributing to GeoGebra by
* organizing and/or giving workshops in your local area or
* doing some (Java) programming,
please let us know. We also plan to share brand new workshop materials
for GeoGebra on the IGI website soon (http://www.geogebra.org/IGI/).

If you are already engaged in activities using GeoGebra like pre-service or
in-service teacher training, workshops in your area, etc., then please let us
know. Right now, we know that there are MANY users, but
we would love to learn more about what's happening out there,
in order to connect our efforts.
Also, please put your GeoGebra materials on the GeoGebraWiki
(http://www.geogebra.org/wiki), so others can benefit from your
great ideas!

4) GeoGebra meeting at NCTM conference in Salt Lake City

Please join us at one of the following GeoGebra sessions at this year's
NCTM meeting in Salt Lake City, Utah:
146 Dynamic Mathematics with GeoGebra. Thu, Apr 10, 11:00am - 12:00pm
540 Visualizing Domain, Range in Algebra 2. Fri, Apr 11, 2:00pm - 3:00pm
663 Archimedes and the Emergence of Pi. Sat, Apr 12, 9:30am - 10:30am

For those of you who want to get more involved with GeoGebra, e.g. become a
workshop presenter, programmer, or even establish a GeoGebra Institute site,
we would like to invite you to come to our

International GeoGebra Institute Meeting
Thursday, April 10, 6:00–7:30 pm
Carlton Hotel (http://www.carltonhotel-slc.com)

Please write to markus@xxxxxxxxxxxx if you would like to come
to this IGI meeting in Salt Lake City. See you there!

5) AECT award for GeoGebra

GeoGebra will receive the AECT Distinguished Development Award 2008.
The ceremony will take place at the annual conference of the Association
for Educational Communications and Technology in Orlando, Florida
later this year,
see http://www.aect.org/.

5) Intergeo

The Intergeo project co-funded by the European Community programme eContentplus
has started in October 2007 and will...
a) offer content in a searchable and metadata-tagged portal.
b) enable users to use their software of choice by specifying a common
file format
based on open standards.
c) test available material in the classroom. All stakeholders, software teams,
resource authors, teachers and learners will be involved, in order to promote
quality enhancement cycles.

GeoGebra is part of the consortium. The project currently tries to
keep track of dynamic
geometry resources via traces. Please register on
http://www.i2geo.net/ if you have such
constructions to share and add traces for them.

6) Thank you!

Last but not least, I want to say thank you to everybody who has contributed to
our project by programming, doing translations, sharing materials on the wiki,
helping others on the forum, spreading the word about GeoGebra and in so many
other ways. Thanks!

Markus Hohenwarter, Ph.D.
Florida Atlantic University