[geocentrism] Re: translational orbit

  • From: "Bernie Brauer" <bbrauer777@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 16:42:55 -0600

http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/301/lectures/node106.html *Translational
motion versus rotational motion** **It should be clear, by now, that there
is a strong analogy between rotational motion and standard translational
motion. Indeed, each physical concept used to analyze rotational motion has
its translational concomitant. Likewise, every law of physics governing
rotational motion has a translational equivalent. The analogies between
rotational and translational motion are summarized in Table
**3*<http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/301/lectures/node106.html#tt1>
*.*

  *Table 3:* *The analogies between translational and rotational motion.*
*Translational motion*   *Rotational motion*   Displacement [image: $d{\bf
r}$] Angular displacement [image: $d\mbox{\boldmath$\phi$}$] Velocity [image:
${\bf v} = d{\bf r}/dt$] Angular velocity [image: $\mbox{\boldmath$\omega$}=
d\mbox{\boldmath$\phi$}/dt$] Acceleration [image: ${\bf a} = d{\bf
v}/dt$] Angular
acceleration [image: $\mbox{\boldmath$\alpha$}=
d\mbox{\boldmath$\omega$}/dt$] Mass [image: $M$] Moment of inertia [image:
$I = {\scriptstyle\int \rho \vert\hat{\mbox{\boldmath$\omega$}}\times {\bf
r}\vert^2 dV}$] Force [image: ${\bf f} = M {\bf a}$] Torque [image:
$\mbox{\boldmath$\tau$}\equiv{\bf r}\times {\bf f}= I
\mbox{\boldmath$\alpha$}$] Work [image: $W = \int {\bf f}\!\cdot\!d{\bf r}$]
Work [image: $W = \int
\mbox{\boldmath$\tau$}\!\cdot\!d\mbox{\boldmath$\phi$}$] Power [image: $P =
{\bf f}\!\cdot\!{\bf v}$] Power [image: $P =
\mbox{\boldmath$\tau$}\!\cdot\!\mbox{\boldmath$\omega$}$] Kinetic
energy [image:
$K = M v^2/2$] Kinetic energy [image: $K = I \omega^2/2$]