[geocentrism] Re: (no subject)

  • From: Allen Daves <allendaves@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 09:05:57 -0800 (PST)

  Paul, you are making no sense. The contradictions belong to your question
itself. The sidereal day is dependent on the stars! ....NOT THE APPEARANCE OR
DISAPEARANCE OF THE EARTH!!!!!! Period! That is why i asked the question the
way i did. Your question uses irrelevant conditions to attempt to define an
answer!  The appearance or disappearance of the stars is irrelevant for asking
the or any question wrt "what the sidereal period of the moon would
be............. if the earth suddenly disappeared?" ....It would be the same as
is and has and every will be now!? That is as succinctly of an answer to your
question as possible. I stated as much in my very first and all subsequent

Paul Deema <paul_deema@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    Allen D
  I asked the question -
    "What will be the Moon's sidereal period subsequent to the Earth vanishing
at Full Moon".
  Here is your 'definitive' statement offered in answer to that question -
    " If the moon is still be moving the way it did before the earth's
disappearance then it will see exactly the same things the same way it did
before the earths disappearance."
  If I understand you correctly, your statement could be rendered more
succinctly by -
    "If the Moon's motion subsequent to the event is unchanged, then its view
will be unchanged."
  First, it does not answer the question which sought the magnitude of the
sidereal period. Second, it is incorrect in that the Earth will no longer be in
view. Third, it supposes the suspension of the laws of physics in unnecessarily
anticipating unchanged motion on the part of the Moon upon the tragic loss of
its primary. Fourth, it is essentially a null statement of the form "If nothing
has changed then nothing is changed".
  The complete text of your reply was -
    1. I did make a difinitive statment!?
  2. I have never been to the moon and observer itâ??s sidereal period and
neither have you or anyone else for that matter! Thus, any other answer to your
question would be based on assumptions.........!?
  Taking 2. and leaving aside the annoying contradiction that this is both a
statement and a question, I observe the assumption that neither I nor anyone
else has been to the Moon and observed its sidereal period. I personally don't
have the problem with assumption (together with 'theory', 'believe' or 'belief'
and 'faith' among others that are routinely and narrowly used by
fundamentalists) that you do (as witnessed by the concluding sentence) but on
what grounds and in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary do you
make this assumption? (Rhetorical question!)
  The point is that the Moon's sidereal period has been known for centuries and
could be determined by you to a tolerable level of accuracy from your own back
yard armed with little more than your eyes, a clock, a little patience and
perseverance and a pencil and paper. The level of confidence in the accuracy of
your answer would be superior to that attending your determination of the
height of a tree in your neighbourhood by the use of a crude theodolite and the
principle of proportionality. In case it was missed, it is not necessary to
climb a tree with a ruler in order to determine its height just as it is not
necessary to journey to the Moon with scientific paraphernalia to determine its
sidereal period. To insist otherwise is to engage in sophistry.
  Far from the definitive statement you suggest, I suggest that it is an
equivocating collection of mealy mouthed weasel words.
  So then, I'll put the question again. Given the long known and generally
accepted value for the Moon's sidereal period of approximately 27.322 earth
mean solar days and the universality of the laws of physics, what change would
you predict in this value were the Earth to vanish at the time of the Full Moon?
  Paul D
  PS As a concession, you need not have the Earth depart this realm at Full
Moon -- any time you choose is acceptable.

Paul Deema <paul_deema@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    Allen D
  So essentially you lack the courage to make a definitive statement.
  Paul D