[geocentrism] Re: airplane flights and the atmosphere

  • From: "Glover, Rob" <Rob.Glover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx '" <geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 10:51:05 +0100

Gary,

contrary acentrist on this board, who keeps challenging errors of science
and logic. (However, I'm really quite a nice guy when you get to know me,
and I have nothing against the Christian religion.)

Now, to your assertions / questions.

"If a jet plane leaves O'Hare airport in Chicago and flies in the air at 500
mph, how is it that this airplane will traverse 500 miles of ground below it
in one hour no matter which direction it flies?"

Because 500mph is it's speed relative to the air, it'll also be roughly be
equal to it's speed relative to the ground, if you neglect any headwind of
tail-wind. You need to grasp the nature of relative speed here - to take a
more familiar example, if you're on a train travelling at 100mph, that's
100mph relative to the ground. If you then walk quickly towards the back of
the train at 4mph, relative to the ground you are travelling backwards at a
speed of 96mph.

Another example, you are on a carousel at a fair. The carousel is rotating
at a speed where the ground is passing underneath your feet at 5mph. You
begin to walk round edge of the carousel, fairly slowly, at 1mph. Now, it'll
take you as much time to go a quarter of the way round in one direction, as
it would do to go a quarter of the way round in the other direction. But one
way, your speed relative to the ground is 6mph, the other way, you are
travelling backwards at 4mph relative to the ground.

How do you know the carousel is rotating and not the entire fairground
rotating round the carousel?

Well, one thing that would make you suspicious is that you're getting some
weird forces acting on you. You feel that some force is pushing you off the
carousel. Also if you walk in a straight line towards the centre, you feel a
force trying to push you sideways.

Another is you can see the rest of the fairground, and there are lots of
other carousels in view. Some bigger, some smaller than the one you're on,
and they're all spinning round.

Now, you look into the night sky and there are planets there. Some bigger
than Earth, some smaller. And when you study them through a telescope, you
can see they are all turning.

Mars - rotating every 24 hours 37 minutes.
Jupiter - rotating every 9 hours 50 minutes (and Jupiter is bigger than the
Earth!)
Mercury - rotating every 59 days. Not fast, I grant you, but rotating.
Venus - rotating every 243 days. If any planet is nearly Geostatic it's
Venus.
Saturn - rotating every 10 hours 15 minutes
Uranus - rotating every 17 hours 20 minutes
Neptune - rotating every 16 hours.
The Sun itself - rotating every 25 days on the equation, 36 days near the
poles.

And what's more, their atmospheres (where they have them) are turning with
them. We are in exactly the same situation here on Earth.

"Assuming we are indeed on a turning earth and, somehow, this atmosphere of
ours is turning with us, what is the mechanism which enables it to do so?
Musn't it have something which "roots" it to the ground much like an
enormous tree?"

Your question really should be - what enables the atmosphere to remain
turning with the Earth. Why does it not slow down and stop, so we end up
with 1,000 mph winds on the equator?

The reason is, the atmosphere is a viscous fluid. It couldn't sustain such
incredibly high relative windspeeds for long before resistance with relief
such as mountains and valleys slowed it down. It wouldn't happen overnight,
but it would happen pretty soon. Otherwise cyclones would never blow
themselves out.

And the atmosphere is not rigidly turning with the Earth. It can't, it's a
gas. It responds to local temperature variations, local relief like
mountains and valleys, local temperature variations over the oceans, the
continual heating of half of the planet by the Sun, anything that disturbs
it. As hot air from the equator moves north or south, it retains a lot of
it's speed from the equator, an effect called Coriolis
http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr161/lect/earth/coriolis.html which has
significant effects on the trade winds that were so useful to ocean
navigators, as well as the ocean currents. The movement of the atmosphere is
really a very complex fluid dynamics problem and usually needs powerful
computers to model it in any detail.

"Would not a tandemly turning atmosphere/earth mean nothing could move the
air upon the ground?  And would this not further mean instant suffocation
for every breathing creature on earth?"

Yes it would. But gases are not fixed and immovable, are they? They are
gases. They can move.

Now, to Neville's earlier response to the same post. There is one point he
makes which is unforgivably wrong and demands a response.

"That would be assigned to the gravitational field, which rotates with the
World, and accompanies the World about the Sun (wowzers, I'd better wash my
mouth out after this)."

Yes, you better had. The gravitational field has nothing to do with the
rotation of the atmosphere with the Earth. It holds the atmosphere close to
the Earth, granted, but the gravity field does not 'rotate'. You seem to be
confusing gravitational fields with magnetic fields.

Rob.