[geocentrism] Re: Two spin axes of Earth?

  • From: Neville Jones <njones@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 15:56:43 -0800

Philip,

You need to be clear about the spatial orientation of the orbiting body's axis, and the motion of a particular spot on the surface of that orbiting body, both with respect to the axis of rotation of the body and with respect to the centre of the turntable.

The translational movement you refer to is just the alignment of the body's axis with a specific direction in space. As Regner has pointed out, to turn this axis around (i.e., to make it precess as the body orbits the centre of the system) would require some unknown force, and no one here is advocating that.

A point on the surface of the body, however, except an infinitesimally small spot exactly at one or other of the poles, does not undergo this translational motion, except when sampled at whole multiples of a sidereal day. This is the reason for my questioning you regarding how nightly star trails are obtained. I hope that you will now be able to see that my question was relevant.

Neville
www.GeocentricUniverse.com