[geocentrism] Re: Two spin axes of Earth?

  • From: Regner Trampedach <art@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 00:38:07 +1100

The Earth's orbit is an ellipse with a small eccentricity (deviation from
circle) of 0.0167 (circle is 0.0).
  First of all; an ellipse has two focal points ("centres")
and a circle of course only has one. An ellipse can be drawn with two pins
stuck into the paper, and a loop of thread around both, pulling the loop
out to a triangle with your pen. Draw around the two pins with the loop
taught and the result will be an ellipse. For close pins and a long loop
you will get small eccentricity and close to an ellipse (small eccentricity).
  Second; the Sun-Earth centre-of-mass (about 450 km from the Sun's centre
only 0.06% of the Sun's radius) will be at one focal point (one of the pins
in your drawing) of the ellipse described by the Earth's orbit. The two
focal points are symmetric about the actual centre of the ellipse. The main
elliptical effect of a small eccentricity will be the offset by the focal
point. And I can assure you that the Earth orbit I plotted is not a circle,
although it is close.
  The Sun-Earth distance (the instantaneous radius of the Earth orbit) can
be measured directly by the parallax method from opposite sides of the Earth.
Variation in the Sun-Earth distance can also be measured by observing the
change in apparent size of the Solar disk. The diameter of the orbit, on the
other hand, cannot be measured, and also makes little sense when dealing with
ellipses.

    Kind Regards,

        Regner Trampedach