[geocentrism] Re: The resolution of Mars

  • From: Regner Trampedach <art@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 13:57:37 +1100

Dear Neville,

  I'm glad we agree on those issues, below.
I have now had a look at your "Resolution of the planet Mars"-page
and have a few comments (I have only seen it in its recently corrected
form).

You talk about the "seeing" effect (blurring by the atmosphere) and state
that: "The response time of the cones in the fovea of the human eye make
       this spreading almost completely non detectable."
The main reason that seeing is not seen as a widening of objects in the
sky, is that the "seeing disk" - the angular diameter of a point-source
(e.g., a star) broadened by seeing, is smaller than the diffraction limit
(a.k.a. the "Rayleigh resolution criterion") of our eyes. A clear night
at sea-level has seeing of about 3" (arcseconds) and the best observatories
in the world experience good seeing of about 0.3".
  Seeing is caused by turbulence in the atmosphere, and this is what causes
stars to twinkle - they change brightness and colour in a random fashion on
a sub-second time-scale. With a telescope on a stable mount, you can also
see the star "jump" around in your field of view. This jumping around, fills
up the seeing disk in a few seconds - e.g., if you take a picture.
  Stars twinkle because they are point-sources and all the light we see
passes through the same turbulence eddies.
  Planets, on the other hand, are extended object, whether we resolve them
or not, and the light we see passes through different, neighbouring eddies
of turbulence. The twinkling therefore gets averaged out (to some extent)
and the (naked eye) planets appear as more steady lights, than the stars.

  The point-spread function for the atmosphere + human eye, which you mention,
is overwhelmingly determined by the diffraction limit of our eyes.
In Fig.4 (attached), I have plotted intensity versus angular distance from
the centre of point-source (i.e., a source that is not resolved).
I have used a pupil diameter of 5mm (not fully dilated, which is more like
8mm), and I have shown the intensity for three objects with different
brightness. I have also plotted a sensitivity limit (dashed line) of the
human eye (the intensity axis is on an arbitrary scale, just demonstrating
the effect schematically). The part we see, is the part above the dashed
line. This means that the angular diameter of an object will increase with
its brightness. The central 20" is covered by a handful of photo-receptors
in the human eye, so we would (and do) see a difference in size between
the objects of different brightness, displayed here. Bear in mind that
this has nothing to do with the actual angular diameter of the objects,
which would have to be smaller than, say, 5", for the plot to be valid.
  Conclusion: there is no problem with the size of Mars.

    Regards,

       Regner