[geocentrism] Re: Thanks for reading

  • From: Mike <mboyd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 09:02:47 +0100

Philip wrote:
> Gary, not to worry. I had to think real hard myself, and I still do not
> understand the conservation of energy in angular velocity.

It's important not to confuse the conservation of energy (CoE) with the
conservation of angular momentum (CAM).  With two objects rotating
relative to each other in contact with friction will slow down until
they both have the same angular velocity all the while preserving their
angular momentum.  But in doing so their kinetic energy will disapate as
heat.  To consider the CoE you must include this disapation.  But if the
  heat is radiated uniformly it will not affect the angular momentum.

> Not many even know what is involved in the precession of a spinning top. Do
> a google and you will find pages of math. When they have to do that, I just
> instinctfully say, "they don't know. "

I would instinctively say "I don't know" until I understand the maths
they present.  Once I do then I am in a position to agree or disagree
with them.

> We have an old saying here in Australia. "Bullshit baffles brains." Politics
> or science, its all the same.

Very true, which is why when making arguments about physics it is best
to start with an idealized situation and only consider the complications
to it once we can agree on the idealized situation.

Regards,
Mike.